If you’ve noticed your walls starting to show signs of water damage such as bubbling paint, discoloration, or an unusual musty odor, then there is a good chance you have a hidden water leak inside your wall. Not only can these leaks cause major structural and cosmetic damage to the structure of your house but they can also lead to high utility bills due to wasted water. Fortunately, it isn’t too difficult to find out if this may be the case with a few simple steps that don’t even require any fancy tools or supplies.
Here are some steps to follow in order to identify and fix a water leak inside a wall:
- Look for visible signs of water damage- This could include discoloration or stains on the wall, peeling paint or wallpaper, or a bulging or soft spot in the drywall. These signs may indicate the presence of water and help you identify the leak’s location.
- Listen for sounds of rushing or dripping water- turn off all appliances and take a few moments of silence to listen carefully for any faint sounds of rushing or dripping water. Leaks that are actively releasing water are easier to detect by sound.
- Check nearby fixtures- Investigate any nearby fixtures, such as sinks, toilets, showers or tubs, for signs of moisture or water damage. If you notice water pooling beneath the fixture, or see the surrounding areas of the wall damp or moist, there may be a leaking pipe or valve.
- Use a moisture meter – Moisture meters are useful tools that can detect moisture presence in walls. For instance, with a moisture detector, you can spot any levels of moisture that aren’t visible to your eyes by pressing it on the wall. Make sure to purchase a meter that is appropriate for use with drywall or plaster.
- Call a professional plumber- If you’re uncertain about detecting a water leak, it’s best to call in a professional plumber for assistance. Plumbers have the necessary experience and equipment to detect and fix water leaks. They also can recommend other necessary repairs that may be needed.
When it comes to finding a water leak, the most important thing is to remain vigilant and proactive. It’s essential to act quickly when you suspect an issue; even a small water leak can cause significant property damage over time. As an Elmer NJ plumber, we understand how troubling water leakage can be and are here to help with any of your plumbing needs! Make sure to contact us if you’re looking for help determining the source of your water leak – we’ll work fast and efficiently to find a solution that will put your mind at ease. The team is passionate about helping our customers find dependable solutions that last. Thanks for reading!